Regional CSP Meeting – 1st Monday each Month (2nd Mon when 1st Monday is a holiday). Next Meeting is Monday Sept 12th, 2016, at Hopeworx, Inc. 1210 Stanbridge Street, Suite 600, Norristown, PA 19401. Subcommittees 2 -3 pm / full committee meeting from 3- 5 pm. Info call 610-270-0375.
BC Housing Continuum of Care – Thurs Sept 22nd 2-3:30 pm
The purpose of the HCoC is to provide a coordinated homelessness assistance system that works toward preventing and ending homelessness in Bucks County. The Business meeting includes participation from most agencies in Bucks County that provide housing and homelessness services. This meeting provides a wealth of information about what types of initiatives are occurring in the county in relation to housing issues. Some of the meetings are trainings on important topics related to ending homelessness.
When: Generally every month on the 4th Thursday 2-3:30 PM 2016 scheduled meetings: Sept 22nd , Nov 24th
Where: Neshaminy Manor Center, Almshouse – 4th Floor Conference Room, 1260 Almshouse Road, Doylestown, PA 18901
Contact: Matt Uhler, Secretary – United Way of Bucks County 267-231-4199 or email@example.com
Local Housing Options Team – Meets 3rd Tues Every other Month at 9:30 AM – next meeting – Tues August 16th, 9:30 AM – at 600 Louis Drive, Suite 101, Warminster PA 18974.
As a sub-committee of the Bucks County Housing Continuum of Care, LHOT brings together representatives of organizations focusing on housing for people with special needs, especially those with behavioral health challenges and those with multiple special needs. The LHOT prioritizes housing needs in the County and serves in an advisory role in the creation of the Bucks County’s Mental Health Housing Plan. The LHOT also provides input on housing related Medical Assistance Reinvestment Plans.
BC Suicide Prevention Task Force – Full Task Force membership Meetings are held quarterly Meetings for 2016: Septmeber 2016 exact date to be determined / October 18th at 3:00PM at Doylestown Hospital (Room to be determined). There are subcommittees that work on issues in between the full task force meetings and they are always looking for more people to participate especially individuals in recovery and family members/supporters.
To find out about what subcommittees exist and how to get involved contact:
Wendy Flannigan 215-444-2882 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Events / Training Opportunities:
Bucks County Proclamation for Suicide Prevention Awareness Month – Wednesday, September 7th 10 AM during the Bucks County Commissioners’ Meeting, at the Bensalem Township Municipal Building at 2400 Byberry Road in Bensalem.
All are welcome to attend!
Suicide Prevention Day Open House – Sept 8 2016, 10 am – 12 noon at the Montgomery County Human Services Center, 1430 Dekalb Street, Norristown PA.
There will be a screening and discussion of the Academy Award winning documentary “Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1”.
RSVP: email@example.com -or- call 610-278-3791
Sponsored by: Montgomery County Suicide Task Force
Candle light Vigil, Tuesday September 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM. The courtyard outside the Bucks County Courthouse, 55 East Court Street, Doylestown, PA.
Remembering the victims of suicide, showing support of
family members and friends, offering hope for the future.
Sponsored by: Lenape Valley Foundation
Alternatives 2016 – A national recovery oriented conference organized by and for mental health consumers/survivors. – Sept 19- 23rd 2016, San Diego CA. Registration is now open – to register for the conference, and to book your room at the Town & Country Resort, follow the link below to the Alternatives 2016 Website: www.alternatives2016peerlinktac.org/
Surviving the Bridge: Hope, Healing and Recovery – Oct 5, 2016 at 7 PM. Quakertown High School,600 Park Ave, Quakertown, PA 18951
Speaker: Mr. Kevin Hines – An award-winning guest speaker, bestselling author, and behavioral health advocate. Two years after receiving a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, Mr. Hines attempted to take his life by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. One of only thirty-four people to survive the fall, Mr. Hines now tours the world, actively spreading a message of hope and holistic wellness.
Cost : Free
Sponsored by: New Vitae Wellness and Recovery Foundation
Registration Required: newvitaewellness.org | 610-9280173 www.newvitaewellness.com/news-events/khines-2016
Annual Suicide Prevention Conference, Tuesday, October 11, 2016 – 9:00 am – 4:30 pm Delaware Valley University – Life Sciences Building 700 E. Butler Avenue, Doylestown Keynote speaker – Michael Anestis, Ph.D., Nina Bell Suggs Professor of Psychology/Chair of Clinical Admissions, University of Southern Mississippi Breakout sessions, wellness expo. Open to community members and healthcare professionals
Check Lenape Valley Foundation Website www.lenapevf.org in September for registration information
Legislative Issues Affecting the Mental Health Community:
Please see NAMI current legislative listing by clicking Here
Free Mobile Resources To Support Behavioral Health:
SAMHSA has resources that can help address some of the toughest mental health and substance use challenges, including suicide prevention, bullying prevention, behavioral health following a disaster, and underage drinking prevention.
- Suicide Safe helps health care providers integrate suicide prevention strategies into their practice and address suicide risk among their patients.
- KnowBullying provides information and guidance on ways to prevent bullying and build resilience in children. A great tool for parents and educators, KnowBullying is meant for kids ages 3 to 18.
- SAMHSA Disaster App provides responders with access to critical resources—like Psychological First Aid and Responder Self-Care—and SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator to help responders provide support to survivors after a disaster.
- Talk. They Hear You is an interactive game that can help parents and caregivers prepare for one of the more important conversations they may ever have with children—underage drinking.
To learn more & download the apps: SAMHSA Mobile Apps
- State of PA Announces Plan to Close Norristown State Hospital . . . . Read More
- January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month . . . . . Read More
- Upper Bucks CSP participates in Sellersville Museum's Forest of Trees for Winter Fest. . . . Read More
- QPR Suicide Prevention Initiative spearheaded by BC Dept. of Mental Health & Developmental Programs . . Read More
- Lower Bucks CSP Committee Publishes Homeless Survival Guide ...... Read More
- Bucks County Receives Grant to address the mental health needs of youth and young adults. Read More
- Thoughtful blog about the criminal justice system and addiction treatment. Read More