What is Recovery
People can and do recover from even the most serious and long-term mental health problems. However, in mental health, recovery does not always refer to the process of complete recovery from a mental health problem in the same way that people may recover from a physical health problem. Many speak of recovery as an ongoing process. Something that you always pay attention to, much like the idea of recovery espoused by AA – an active ongoing endeavor.
“Recovery occurs when people with mental illness discover, or re-discover, their strengths and abilities for pursuing personal goals and develop a sense of identity that allows them to grow beyond their mental illness.” Illness Management and Recovery: A Review of the Research, Psychiatric Services, October 2002, Vol. 53, No. 10
While there is no one universally accepted definition of recovery what is universally accepted is that recovery is about more than just managing symptoms of a mental illness. For many people, the concept of recovery is about staying in control of their life despite experiencing a mental health problem.
Recovery is a unique and individual experience and while there may be common themes and experiences, no two people’s recovery journeys will be identical. It is also important to know that recovery is not necessarily easy or straightforward. Persistence and perseverance are necessary until you find the right combination of treatment, supports, self help strategies, daily living routines and personal attitude that helps you maintain your balance in order for you participate in the life activities as you desire.
Please see our Recovery Resources page for internet sites that focus on the issue of recovery.
- Regional CSP Conference - MAY 11 2017 . . . Read More
- State of PA Announces Plan to Close Norristown State Hospital . . . . Read More
- January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month . . . . . Read More
- Upper Bucks CSP participates in Sellersville Museum's Forest of Trees for Winter Fest. . . . Read More
- QPR Suicide Prevention Initiative spearheaded by BC Dept. of Mental Health & Developmental Programs . . Read More
- Lower Bucks CSP Committee Publishes Homeless Survival Guide ...... Read More
- Bucks County Receives Grant to address the mental health needs of youth and young adults. Read More
- Thoughtful blog about the criminal justice system and addiction treatment. Read More